directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Rethink Subversion
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:09:58 GMT
> Here is how I would like to proceed

> I have brought down our CVS tarball from sourceforge.
> I will create a local SVN report and use the cvs2svn
> to get the initial SVN repo created.

Sounds good to me, although I am not a Subversion expert.  The more we can
keep our CVS history, the better.

> Once this is done, I will work on moving the directory
> structures to the new layout (Which we still to define!).
> This is the part I will probably need some help with.

> I will then run the conversion script to change the
> package names and add the apache license header to
> the files.

Sounds correct.  I don't know if the new licenses are close enough that we
can start using the short form of the new Apache Software License version 2.

> I will probably only do this with one or two of the root level
> directories.  Once it looks like everything works, we will do
> a code freeze, and run the process for the entire CVS tarball,
> and bring the new subversion repo in.

You might want to take a look at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/, which is
the official ASF Subversion repository.  As I understand it, there will only
be one repository, rather than one per project.  So we'll need to be told
where to put our directory structure.  As a guess:

  /incubator/directory/branches/sub-project
  /incubator/directory/tags/sub-project
  /incubator/directory/trunk/sub-project
  /incubator/directory/site

but one of the Subversion folks could recommend:

  /incubator/directory/sub-project/branches
  /incubator/directory/sub-project/tags
  /incubator/directory/sub-project/trunk

instead.  I don't know the Best Practice for laying out a Subversion
repository.  See also: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/book.html#svn-ch4-sect7.1

Also, there is http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/, a test repository that I
had asked be setup so that people can play with Subversion without having to
install a server.

Infrastructure will have to set up access and/or provide instructions for
the temporary mechanism.  We have mod_authz_svn setup, and controlled by a
master file.  I'm fairly sure that we are not going to want every Committer
editing that file.  And I am hoping that we will have SSL to protect the
passwords soon.

	--- Noel