directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: Logo
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 04:15:07 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>But the "tree of knowledge" *is* a religious reference ;-)
>

> It exists in many cultural myths.

OK...

>>I just don't particularly like the religious undertones or the
>>"predetermined, written-in-stone" connotation of the tree of
>>knowledge, though.
>

> Huh?  From where did you get the idea that the Tree of Knowledge implies any
> sort of pre-determined, written-in-stone, anything?

The Christian scholastic tradition started by Thomas Acquinas and
continuing through the Rationalists, e.g. DesCartes:

http://www.rep.routledge.com/article/DA026SECT2

The Thomist use of this metaphor was heavy on absolutism (going back to
Plato and Aristotle). That is what I was referring to.

Sorry to be culturally myopic...

>>Dynamic config! Dynamic identities! Dynamic schema!
>

> Trees grow.  Their structure changes dynamically.  They can be pruned and
> manipulated.
>

>>part of what Eve is enabling is lots of distributed trees
>>instead of one great big central "definitive source."
>

> Yes ... and one of the interesting ideas that just popped into mind is the
> Aspen tree.  Aspen would be an interesting name, too.   Why?  An entire
> Aspen grove is actually one tree.

Yeah.  This is good.  That's like the Sierpinski triangle, though using
trees, which is better.

> ref: http://members.tripod.com/~bbowles/aspentrees.html

Beautiful shot...