directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: Logo
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 03:41:28 GMT

> Because the data model for a Directory Server *is* a tree, so refering to
> the Tree of Knowledge is nice imagery, particularly when we use JNDI
> capabilities of the Directory Server to federate multiple data domains.  I
> wasn't making any particular religious reference.

But the "tree of knowledge" *is* a religious reference ;-)

I understand and agree with the point that at least in terms of
addressing, ldap is tree-oriented, so some sort of tree symbol makes
sense. I just don't particularly like the religious undertones or the
"predetermined, written-in-stone" connotation of the tree of knowledge,
though.  Dynamic config! Dynamic identities! Dynamic schema! These things
are hard, but I am sure that Eve will find a way.  Maybe I am more
thinking in terms of the tree after Eve started to have at it :-)

Slightly more seriously, I also see ldap directories as much more general
than just "config or identity knowledge stores."  It might also be nice to
capture some of Eve's embeddability in the logo -- i.e., part of what Eve
is enabling is lots of distributed trees instead of one great big central
"definitive source."

Phil