directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Eve: LDAP Server Name (Was Logo)
Date Sun, 30 Nov 2003 17:56:58 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Yeah I originally was going with Phil's thoughts by naming it the
> "Apache Directory Server" but then I realized that if we wanted short
> references to it like say AD Server or ADS we would have confusion
> resulting from Microsoft's Active Directory Server.  That's why I
> insist we stay away from "Apache Directory Server" as an official
> name.  Also it is already implied since it is an ASF production.

I am not as concerned about that as leaving the door open for other
language impls within the Directory project.

Your arguments below are good enough for me and I think in any case that
the decision should be driven by those closest to the code. I would just
ask that we tread lightly on the religious imagery and metaphors.

I am +1 for Eve...