directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: Logo
Date Sun, 30 Nov 2003 17:33:51 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>>>Personally, Eve isn't my favorite name for the ldap server, but that's
>>>just my view.  If you are going with the Garden of Eden reference, go
>>>straight for the Tree of Knowledge imagery.
>>

>>Oh I like that - the Tree of Knowledge is perfect in terms of imagery.  I
>>understand that you may not have a preference for the name Eve but do you
>>think there may be political issues as with the Geronimo name?
>

> I don't know of any political issues, although some people might not view
> Eve and the Tree of Knowledge thing favorably (getting kicked out of Eden).
> I've found another reference, but I don't know that it would be confusing:
>
>   http://www.aramedia.com/bishaieve.htm
>
> Phil asked "What's wrong with "Apache Directory" for the project and "Apache
> Directory Server" for the server?"  The project *is* the Apache Directory
> project.

Ack.

> The server could be simply the Apache Directory Server.

I like this, though if we named the Java implementation something else, we
would be leaving the door open for an apr- or other-language based impl as
well.

> I really
> do like the Tree of Knowledge alliteration,

What exactly do you like about this allusion?  I have stayed out of the
Geronimo flames; but one of my pet peeves about that whole debate is that
I have seen virtually 0 meaningful discussion about why a J2EE server
*should* be named after Geronimo (just endless arguments about why we
*can* or *can't* so name it).  So...what exactly in the nature of a
directory server makes the "tree of knowledge" a good symbol?  I honestly
don't get it.

Maybe I just need to "lighten up" but this is a deep religious symbol that
brings up two concepts to me (I am not a practicing Christian): 1)
Original Sin and 2) Rationalism/Thomism (belief in essentially static and
absolute truths and correspondingly static division of knowledge into
traditional scholastic disciplines).  Unless we expect apps to crash after
they access the directory, 1) makes little sense to me and 2) seems at
odds with the essentially dynamic nature of ldap directories.

OK...maybe a bit over the top there...maybe just venting a bit of pent-up
Geronimo pain...I am just interested in why this seems fitting.

I would be happier with something like a Sierpinski triangle, or Alex's
earlier suggestion of an adulterated Apache feather.

<disclaimer>At work, they don't let me near the UI stuff</disclaimer>