directory-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: Serverside NIO: Not ready for Prime Time
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:38:27 GMT
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:56 pm, Wes McKean wrote:
> I was running ldapd on a Windows XP box with  the new server side NIO stuff
> included, and I was getting all kinds of weird messages inside the sun
> implementation classes.  The same exact code works fine under Linux.  It is
> my professional opinion that there are some issues with the Windows XP
> implementation of non-blocking sockets, and we couldn't put this stuff into
> the server until these issues are addressed.

There are a large number of platform specific issues - but that is no
different from differences between pre-nio sockets on linux and windows. I
have been building a NIO based network layer recently so if you describe some
of the exact issues then I may be able to show how to avoid or give code to
do just that.

Peter Donald
"Education is a progressive discovery of
   our own ignorance." - Will Durant

View raw message