directory-dev mailing list archives

From <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Re: CVS layout
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 02:36:16 GMT
Phil,

Correct me if I'm wrong but the naming stuff is common JNDI code that could be used with any
provider right?  If this is the case then it should stand alone as a peer of the 'ldap' tree
as you say.

I want to take this opportunity to discuss a language independent structure.  Any ideas here?
 After a lecture on the APR and apache modules I started drooling at the possibilities on
the C side for some of Jeff's ideas.  Basically the APR is a general portable runtime that
could be used for both servers and even clients.  It need not be associated with HTTP.  It
just happens that it was born out of the common code that was factored out of the server over
time.

Anyway its good stuff and I think Jeff wanted to build an LDAP cache daemon with nsswitch
modules and pam modules for UNIX.  This would be very similar to what Luke Howard has done
with PADL here http://www.padl.com/Contents/OpenSourceSoftware.html except it would be free
and hopefully work better.  These efforts would also give birth to C based client API's that
should in my opinion be based on the APR.  The httpd team has already started to create a
C ldap abstraction layer to do just that.  BTW just to put it on the record, a fellow by the
name of Graham Leggett (minfrin@apache.org) who is CC'ed in this email works with the code.
 Perhaps Jeff you can establish contact to explore the possibilities of code sharing efforts.

So going back to the directory structure, I think we should keep the potential for C code
based on the APR in mind.  I don't know the best structure to take this into account.  Perhaps
we need to start by creating separate trees for java and c code?  That looks ugly though.
 Perhaps we can keep it on a functional level then have the project at directory/${sub-prj-name}
contain a src/java and/or a src/c directory.  That sounds better.

Alex