directory-api mailing list archives

From Radovan Semancik <radovan.seman...@evolveum.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: Re: [LDAP API] Schema aware connection
Date Fri, 18 Sep 2015 08:26:38 GMT
On 09/16/2015 01:12 PM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny wrote:
> 3) This all not very user-friendly. The modifications that Emmanuel
> suggested seem to be a good improvements.
>
> 4) We have quirks mode and relaxed mode. I've realized that quicks
> mode is for parsing and relaxed mode is for schema processing and
> validation. But, do we need to expose both to the API user? Maybe
> relaxed mode should imply quirks mode.
> I was thinking about something slightly different : a constant that can
> take 4 values :
> - STRICT_MODE
> - QUIRK_MODE
> - RELAXED_MODE
> - QUIRK_RELAXED_MODE
>
> we can pass that as an argument. OTOH, yes, relaxed might also imply
> quick_mode (and to be frank, I prefer 'relaxed' to 'quirk_mode', it's
> more explicit).

Yes. I do not like "quirks" either. It can be used inside the API
implementation, but it should not be exposed to API user. I like using
the enumeration instead of boolean. But I would suggest slightly
different names:
- STRICT_MODE
- RELAXED_MODE
- LAX_MODE

> Sounds good to me. Should we still have a loadSchema() method that
> implies a Strict mode ?

I think this is OK. It probably won't work with anything else than
ApacheDS ... but I like it anyway.

> Fully agreed. I *wish* I had time to get this correct the very first
> time. I wasn't expecting OpenLDAP or some other LDAP Server to be so
> permissive... :/ My bad.

Do not blame yourself. I'm meddling with LDAP for more than 15 years
myself. And I have never suspected this magnitude of schema
inconsistencies either. I guess that the real world always has a bunch
of surprises in store, no matter how experienced you are.

--
Radovan Semancik
Software Architect