directory-api mailing list archives

From Radovan Semancik <radovan.seman...@evolveum.com>
Subject Relaxed/quirks mode and OIDs
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2015 15:32:02 GMT
Hi,

Again, I have a problem with bad LDAP servers.

The problem are LDAP servers that have non-standard OIDs. I mean either
non-numeric OIDs, OIDs starting with other number than 0, 1 or 2 ...
that sort of thing.

When the API is in the quirks/relaxed mode then the parsers will survive
that. But not the registries. E.g. if there is an objectclass with bad
OID then it die in OidRegistry:195:

         if ( !Oid.isOid( oid ) )
         {
             String message = I18n.err( I18n.ERR_04290 );

             LOG.debug( message );
             throw new LdapException( message );
         }

.. which is not a bad thing in itself. But this will also die in the
quirks/relaxed mode. And it will die after the
DefaultSchemaObjectRegistry.register() added the object to byName map.
So, the result is that the object is in the byName map but it is not in
the byOid map. This seems to me as an inconsistent behavior ... is this
the right thing or is this a bug?

Also, this makes the API use very inconvenient. If I want to get all the
object classes (even those with bad OIDs) then I need to do:

Iterator<String> oidsIterator = ((DefaultObjectClassRegistry)
schemaManager.getObjectClassRegistry()).oidsIterator(); // iterate over
that and fetch every ObjectClass explicitly ...

instead of simple

for (ObjectClass ldapObjectClass:
schemaManager.getObjectClassRegistry()) { ...

So, writing robust LDAP clients with the API becomes a real pain.

I was tempted to just use the ugly way in my LDAP connector and forget
about it ... but then I slapped myself. if it is a bug it should be
fixed in the API and not worked around in the client code.

I think that we have two options:

1: simple: OidRegistry:195: remove the throw, leave it just as a warning

2: complex: add the concept of relaxed mode to the registries
(OidRegistry class). Set this up when the registries are created. Skip
the Oid.isOid() check when in relaxed mode.

I can quickly implement any of these options. But as usual, I need a
blessing :-)

What do you think?

--
Radovan Semancik