directory-api mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: Proper use of LdapConnectionPool
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2015 21:07:32 GMT
I forgot to mention the performance aspect.

If you traverse all persons from the CEO down you need as many LDAP
search operations as you have persons in the directory, each require a
full network roundtrip, which takes time. If you want to parallelize
that, I'd recomment to convert the recursive tree traversal into some
iterative processing. Create a fixed thread pool of workers e.g. 4 or 8,
to limit the number of connections. Separate the production and
consumption of DNs by creating a thread-safe list. A worker takes one DN
from the list, retrieves the entry, and adds all "directreports" DNs
into the list, which can be taken by free workers.

However if possible I'd avoid such a costly tree traversal, and instead
use e.g. paged search.

Kind Regards,
Stefan