directory-api mailing list archives

From Radovan Semancik <radovan.seman...@evolveum.com>
Subject Client API Schema support
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2015 14:45:54 GMT
Hi,

I'm working on rewrite of ConnId LDAP connector by using Apache LDAP
API. This connector is used by our own midPoint project but also by
Apache Syncope. The goal is to have clean Apache-licensed code as
opposed to current convoluted CDDL-licensed and JNDI-based code.

However I found this nice "// TODO Handle schema loading on other LDAP
servers" in DefaultSchemaLoader. This is showstopper for me. The
connector has to support a variety of LDAP servers otherwise there is no
reason to develop it in the first place.

So, I thought about implementing that part and contributing the code.
But ...

1) I see that the code is maintained in Subversion. This is major pain
point for me. Sending patches around is not really an efficient way to
contribute. Is there another way that you would accept? E.g. pull
requests over git?

2) I have seen that the topic of schema support was discussed before. I
guess that Emmanuel mentioned that there is a code to parse OpenLDAP
schemas in the studio and that it can be moved into an utility class. Is
there anyone willing to help with this refactoring? I would to it
myself, but as I'm relatively new here I would probably make a lot of
mess ...
Especially the OpenLDAP schema support is quite important for me.

3) I haven't found any coding guidelines or practices for the project.
I've managed to build the sources from the "trunk-with-dependencies",
but I'm not even sure if this is the right way to build it ... is there
anything that I should read to be able to contribute? Or some
recommendations?

--

                                            Radovan Semancik
                                           Software Architect