directory-api mailing list archives

From Frode Randers <frode.rand...@gmail.com>
Subject LdapNetworkConnection blocking on close()
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2014 17:03:06 GMT
I have this really simple setup;

  - Java 1.7.0_40

  - an embedded ApacheDS 1.5.7 listening on port 389 and prepared with a
minimal (proprietary) schema used for tests

            <dependency>
                <groupId>org.apache.directory.server</groupId>
                <artifactId>apacheds-all</artifactId>
                <version>1.5.7</version>
            </dependency>

  - apache LDAP API q.0.0-M20

            <dependency>
                <groupId>org.apache.directory.api</groupId>
                <artifactId>api-all</artifactId>
                <version>1.0.0-M20</version>
            </dependency>

Either running both in the same classloader or separately in different JREs
will give same error.

Comment: Running both in the same classloader will give an error on
duplicate schemas, so I have a local copy of the api-all JAR in Artifactory
from which I have stripped all schemas. They are accessible through the
server JAR so this should not be a problem.

In order to authenticate a user, I connect and bind to the object in the
directory (which by the way works just fine) but when I try to close the
connection things seems to lock up.

This is where it hangs:

LdapNetworkConnection.close():
    {
        // And close the connector if it has been created locally
        // Release the connector
        connectorMutex.lock();  <---- Here
    }

This is how I call this:

    public UserProfile validateUser(
            final String userDN, final String userCredential, final
UserProfileCreator profileCreator
    ) throws DirectoryException {

        LdapConnection connection = null;
        try {
            connection = new LdapNetworkConnection(host, port);
            if (!connection.connect()) {
                String info = "Could not connect to directory service";
                throw new DirectoryConnectionException(info);
            }

            BindRequest request = new BindRequestImpl();
            request.setName(userDN);
            request.setCredentials(userCredential);

            BindResponse response = connection.bind(request);

            ResultCodeEnum resultCode =
response.getLdapResult().getResultCode();
            if (ResultCodeEnum.SUCCESS != resultCode) {
                String info = "The bind failed with result code: " +
resultCode.name();
                log.info(info);
            }

            if (!connection.isAuthenticated()) {
                return null; // user does not exist or incorrect credential
            }

            Entry entry = connection.lookup(userDN); // have access to
private parts
            return profileCreator.create(entry);
        }
        catch (LdapException e) {
            String info = "Could not validate user \"" + userDN + "\"";
            throw new DirectoryReadException(info, e);
        }
        finally {
            if (null != connection) {
                try {
                    // Doing an unBind() will make me hang here, but a
close() will close the session
                    // as well - effectively doing an unbind
                    connection.setTimeOut(5);  // Has no effect
                    connection.close(); // <--- Hangs here
                }
                catch (Throwable t) {
                    String info = "Could not properly close the validation
connection: " + t.getMessage();
                    throw new DirectoryConnectionException(info, t);
                }
            }
        }
    }