directory-api mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: building the API in Eclipse
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2013 06:18:29 GMT
Le 8/7/13 7:45 AM, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Richard Sand <rsand@idfconnect.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all - just sharing some things I learned today setting up the API source
>> in Eclipse.
>>
>> If you try to check out the entire API trunk (i.e.
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/shared/trunk/) into a single
>> Eclipse project, you will get an epic failure. The problem seems to be with
>> the Eclipse Maven (m2e) integration. Doing "New-->Checkout Project from
>> SVN"
>>
> personally I(guess most of us) never use this plugin, we all use terminal
> to do the checkout,
> building and then run mvn eclipse:eclipse to finally import the projects
> into eclipse.
> most of the times these maven plugins in IDE download the whole internet
> whenever a file is
> saved (cause of the maven builder)

Yes, I do that too. For many reasons :
- it's faster
- it simply works (tm)
- it allows us to build all the projects (ie, API, ApacheDS, Studio,
etc) in one shot, and have each of tjese projects imported as a separate
working set but still have dependencies on each single project (ie, an
ApacheDS module will depend on the API modules, and not on the jars,
which is a blessing when debugging !)

But all in all, we could probably achive the same thing by mporting
trunks directly in eclipse, and move the modules in various working set
too.

That would worth trying, assuming that the maven eclipse plugin is not
aymore maintained...

--
Regards,
Cordialement,