directory-api mailing list archives

From "Richard Sand" <rs...@idfconnect.com>
Subject RE: Connection pooling
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2013 03:31:54 GMT
Excuse my blindness, somehow I managed to not see the connection pool object when I first looked.
And of course it uses commons-pooling...!

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Sand [mailto:rsand@idfconnect.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:22 PM
To: api@directory.apache.org
Subject: Connection pooling

Hi all - does the API have any mechanism for connection pooling?  If not, has anyone tried
applying a generic pool manager like Apache's commons-pooling to it?

The user's guide says that by default, the connections are closed after 30 seconds, and this
can of course be configured. Regardless of which pool manager is used, for web application
expecting a high volume traffic, I'm anticipating a connection pool of between say 5 and 50
sockets open to each LDAP server at any given time (and assuming the LDAP server bank is sized
and tuned accordingly - for example, 3 or 4 replicated LDAP servers). If some connections
are idle, the pool manager would do a keepalive operation. So I'm figuring on setting the
connection close time to something like 10 minutes, and having the pool manager do a keepalive
every 8 minutes.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated!

Best regards,

Richard