directory-api mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Async operations callbacks support
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2013 14:01:05 GMT
Le 1/2/13 2:26 PM, Piotr Bzdyl a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I started looking at the LDAP Client API and noticed that is doesn't
> support callbacks on the futures returned by various
> LdapAsyncConnection methods.
>
> Was it considered to add such callbacks? It could be easily
> implemented by extending ListenableFuture from Guava library instead
> of implementing bare j.u.c.Future. All implementing classes (e.g.
> AddFuture) could be implemented by extending SettableFuture so it
> shouldn't involve much coding.

That's an interesting question. Currently, we assumed that we get back a
Future, and the client is responsible to call it when it needs some
result. Most of the time, it's just cosmetic, as you should get the
result immediately, except for requests like Search, Persistent Search
and Replication.

But in some case, it could be interesting not to block on a
Future.get(), but to pass a callback which gets executed when the
response arrives. It should be a minor extensio to the existing API. We
can even do that without any Future : something like void search(
Callback callback, Dn baseDn, String filter, SearchScope scope,
String... attributes ).

We welcome any patch :)

--
Regards,