directory-api mailing list archives

From Daniel Fisher <dfis...@vt.edu>
Subject Re: Extended Operations
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2012 20:28:06 GMT
On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 6/15/12 7:09 PM, Daniel Fisher a écrit :
>
>> Looking over the extended operation classes I have a couple of questions.
>>
>> How do I perform an extended operation that includes both request
>> controls and a requestValue?
>> The ExtendedRequest class doesn't include a requestValue property and
>> the LdapConnection class doesn't include a method signature that
>> supports both an ExtendedRequest and an requestValue.
>> I don't have a use case for this, but it seems like an oversight.
>
> You are right. Atm, we just offer a few implemented extended requests, and
> we don't expose any class that could be used to directly create an unknown
> ExtendedRequest to the server, none do we provide simple ways to process the
> ExtendedResponse.
>
> This is not a choice, but the fact is that the payload is not easy to
> compute and decode, so the underlying mechanism is suppposed to be embedded
> into classes extending the AbstractExtendedRequest class.

Thanks for the info.
You may want to consider dropping the method signatures on
LdapConnection that accept OID and values if the expectation is that
users implement their own request/response classes.
Seeing those methods indicated to me that I could pass arbitrary BER
request values in and get arbitrary BER response values out.

--Daniel Fisher