directory-api mailing list archives

From Daniel Fisher <dfis...@vt.edu>
Subject Re: Reading Binary Attributes
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 14:54:50 GMT
On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <kayyagari@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 12:33 AM, Daniel Fisher <dfisher@vt.edu> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm doing some testing with 1.0.0-M3 and I'm having trouble reading
>> binary attributes.
>> Specifically for jpegPhoto in OpenLDAP 2.4.23:
>>
>> # jpegPhoto
>> # Used to store one or more images of a person using the JPEG File
>> # Interchange Format [JFIF].
>> attributetype ( 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.60
>>    NAME 'jpegPhoto'
>>    DESC 'RFC2798: a JPEG image'
>>    SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.28 )
>>
>> the byte[] I get from Attribute#get()#getBytes() is about twice as big
>> as I expect. Attribute#isHumanReadable() also returns true. Which
>> makes me think the value has been encoded.
>> Code snippet of what I'm doing:
>>        while (cursor.next()) {
>>          SearchResultEntry result = (SearchResultEntry) cursor.get();
>>          Entry e = result.getEntry();
>>          Attribute photo = e.get("jpegPhoto");
>>          if (photo != null) {
>>            byte[] bytes = photo.get().getBytes();
>>            FileOutputStream fos = new FileOutputStream("photo.jpg");
>>            fos.write(bytes);
>>            fos.close();
>>          }
>>        }
>>
>> ldapsearch returns the value I expect. Is there some special syntax
>> for binary values I'm missing? Thanks
>>
> this is due to the fact that by default the client connection is not
> schema aware, to make it schema aware call loadSchema() method
> of the connection before performing any operations.
> Let us know if you still have any issues.
> Thank you for testing.

Thanks. After reviewing the source it appears that binary attributes
are only supported with a schema aware connection. If you expose the
BinaryAttributeDetector (maybe on LdapConnection) then clients could
have some control without dealing with schemas. This would afford the
same functionality that JNDI provides via the
'java.naming.ldap.attributes.binary' property. Just a thought.

I also looked at the NetwokSchemaLoader and it uses a hard coded
baseDn and filter. With a litte refactoring that class could also work
against OpenLDAP, but currently it looks ApacheDS specific.

--Daniel Fisher