directory-api mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reading Binary Attributes
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 11:21:58 GMT
On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:

> On 5 mai 2011, at 11:40, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:
>>> Hi Kiran,

File

cursor.get();

>>> Unfortunately Studio does not use (yet) the API on this part of the code.
>>> Although a complete Connection Wrapper as been created using the API and works
great, the code responsible for Schema loading in the LDAP Browser is still our older base
source code, when the API didn't exist.

>>> We should really introduce a "generic" schema loader, based on the NetworkSchemaLoader,
but which first looks into the RootDSE to find the location of the schema (the value of the
'subSchemaSubentry' attribute), and then, on that DN loads all definitions of schema elements.
>>> This would allow to make the LdapConnection schema aware on servers publishing
their schema that way (most of them).
>>> Definitely, a must have before releasing a final version of the API.
>>>
>>> I created a JIRA for this, DIRAPI-46:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRAPI-46
>>>
>> great, thanks
>>> Specifying BinaryAttributeDetectors might also be interesting in the case where
the server does not advertise the location of the its schema in the RootDSE. But it would
leave the connection being halfway schema aware, which might be complicated to handle at first
sight.
>>> Something we can discuss about though.
>>>
>> yeah, the problem here is to link such a mechanism into the schema
>> manager, but honestly I don't think it is a good
>> idea to let user define some behavior to handle the attribute type
>> apart from what is already defined in the schema through syntax.
>
> Yeah, I agree.
> The only problem is when the connection does not expose its schema.
> I understand that some users will want to define, at least, their binary attributes,
like Daniel.
> Not the most common use-case but something we really something we need to consider...
>
>> OTOH this conversation makes me think that we should also make
>> connection schema aware by default, instead of the current choice
>> of letting users call loadSchema() to make it schema aware.
>
> Hum... That's a good question.
> It raises other questions like:
> - When do we trigger the load of the schema? On first bind?
yes, after first bind, but this is only in the case if user wants to
load the schema from server
If a user prefers the default bundled schema to be loaded then we can
do so even before doing a bind.

shouldn't be an issue as this is just simple search

--
Kiran Ayyagari