directory-api mailing list archives

From Daniel Fisher <dfis...@vt.edu>
Subject Re: Reading Binary Attributes
Date Fri, 06 May 2011 13:30:47 GMT
>> Specifying BinaryAttributeDetectors might also be interesting in the case where the
server does not advertise the location of the its schema in the RootDSE. But it would leave
the connection being halfway schema aware, which might be complicated to handle at first sight.
>> Something we can discuss about though.
>>
> yeah, the problem here is to link such a mechanism into the schema
> manager, but honestly I don't think it is a good
> idea to let user define some behavior to handle the attribute type
> apart from what is already defined in the schema through syntax.
>
> OTOH this conversation makes me think that we should also make
> connection schema aware by default, instead of the current choice
> of letting users call loadSchema() to make it schema aware.

I think you want to support both behaviors. The vast majority of LDAP
clients do not need to be schema aware. They just need to read strings
(and sometimes bytes) from the server. Forcing a client to synchronize
schema updates with their server would place an undue burden on
application deployers that depend on LDAP.

If you don't like exposing the BinaryAttributeDetector, you could
simply store the raw byte[] in the Attribute along with the UTF-8
encoded string for every attribute. If I remember correctly this is
what JLDAP does. Clients would then have the flexibility to use either
data type regardless of the schema.

--Daniel Fisher