directory-api mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Close api@ list
Date Sun, 30 Jan 2011 23:03:23 GMT
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 3:15 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1/29/11 11:26 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'd like to propose (again) to close this api@ list.
>>
> Was it already proposed? I don't remember...

I don't remember either but I think closing it makes sense. The traffic is
fine on our users list.

>  It was created to work together with the OpenDS guys on a new API. But
>> unfortunately due to Oracle's acquisition of Sun this doesn't happen
>> any more. Not sure if there will be a revival with ForgeRock/OpenDJ
>> folks?
>>
> No idea.

It should not matter either way. Really a lot of this stuff we discuss on
dev and users and it's a PITA determining which to post to and sometimes you
just have to cross post and that sucks.

 I think it is best to continue discussion about the API design at the
>> dev@ list for several reasons:
>> - the aim to create a vendor-neutral API failed, we just work on an
>> Apache LDAP API
>> - IMHO the API is/becomes a first-class citizen like ApacheDS or Studio
>> - currently the API discussion is splitted, some discussion happens
>> here, other discussions happen on the dev@ list
>>

> I think you are right. A also think that once the API is out, we may not
> get that many mails about it. Plus we have a risk of having questions on the
> dev and api mailing list, with some responses sant to the wrong list.

+1

>  Is anyone subscribed and still interested on this api@ list but not on
>> the dev@ list and would appreciate to continue API dicussions here?
>>
>> WDYT?
>>

> +1.Or at list, make it dormant. We can rescucitate it later, if needed.

+1 either way.

If we choose not to deal with infra in case we think it might be needed
later we can just send a last - this list is suspended, goto dev@ or
users@until further notice. If people still post to the API list we
can swing them
over to the other lists.