directory-api mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] General API & SPI Concerns
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2011 15:00:10 GMT
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/6/11 2:58 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>>
>>> However, the schema manipulation API is in the scope of this discussion.
>>>

>> This is part of the LDAP API and is as critical as Dn, or Entry since it's
>> tied together.
>
> Damn, I overlooked this part. yes, you are totally right here, as soon as
> the LdapAPI provide Schema aware objects...
>>>
>>> Partition and configuration are not part of the Ldap API, thus are
>>> irrelevant in this discussion about shared refactoring.
>>>

>> Right this has nothing to do with shared APIs but is relavent to the
>> server.
>> The same policies in API maintenance in shared will have to be applied to
>> the server.
>
> yes, +1. I just want to discuss the server API in the server ML, to avoid
> confusion.
>>
>> </snip>
>> This is not to blame anyone. I am pointing out the problem, and pointing
>> out
>> a solution to it so we're not screwed by it. The web of dependencies in
>> shared will f**k us down the line if we don't nix em now.
>
> I'm wondering what would be the best way to get rid of those coupling... May
> be creating many maven modules (one per package) then we will immediately
> see the invalid coupling ? Or is there any tool we can use to detect the bad
> coupling ?

JDepend is such a tool that helps to detect dependencies between packages

There is a maven plugin that creates a report, see [1] for an example,
especially the "cycles" section. But please note that this report is
from November because the site generation is broken, I have to
check...

There is also an Eclipse plugin available, just search for JDepend in
the eclipse marketplace.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] https://hudson.apache.org/hudson/view/A-F/view/Directory/job/dir-shared-site/site/shared-ldap/jdepend-report.html