directory-api mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <>
Subject Re: [Shared] API Design Questionnaire #1
Date Sun, 30 Jan 2011 17:29:59 GMT
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Alex Karasulu <> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 3:17 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <>wrote:
>> On 1/29/11 10:38 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>>>  [X] - (c)
= AddRequest
>>> This is my opinion for a low-level API, which 1:1 maps LDAP
>>> terminology to the Java API. I think we should additional have a
>>> simplified API where the user don't need to deal with request and
>>> response objects at all.
>>> BTW: We have this discussion again and again ;-) We really need to
>>> decide a consistent naming.
>> I think we already discussed it more than once, and we all agreed on this
>> convention.
>> I'm not sure we want to rehash this again every 2 years :/
> When there's a push to release a 1.0 of an API, we need to make the API
> consistent. I can do this myself but the community way is to have a
> discussion. If  you do not want to discuss this feel free not to
> participate, or say you don't care.

I don't see that anyone said that the API development should not be
community driven.

In shared and apacheds we currently us a mix of the *Impl* suffix and
the *Default/<whatever>* prefix for classes. I only count two
interfaces with the *I* prefix, that is probably caused because they
were moved from studio to shared. In studio there are many more *I*
prefixed interfaces, which was inspired by the Eclipse naming
conventions. But afaik we never used *I* prefix in shared or apacheds.

Oh, I just searched for *I* prefixed files, and now there are 14 more, why that?

$ find shared -name "I[A-Z]*.java" | cut -d "/" -f 9-

Kind Regards,

View raw message