directory-api mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Different layers
Date Sat, 04 Sep 2010 16:40:22 GMT
Hi guys,

in IRC we had the idea to have different levels of abstraction in the
API: A low-level API that represents the LDAP protocol and a more
convenient API for common users that hides the LDAP complexity.

Lets start with the search method.

In the low-level API the search method would return a Cursor<Response>
and the user has to deal with all possible results (SearchResultDone,
SearchResultEntry, SearchResultReference, IntermediateResponse)

In the convenient API the search method would return a Cursor<Entry>
and the search method could also deal with referrals and search
continuations (throw as exception or follow transparently if the user
wants to).

Does that make sense? This is just a first thought, we have to figure
if it makes also sense for the other operations too.

Kind Regards,
Stefan