directory-api mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some thoughts I had under my shower this morning...
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2010 17:28:20 GMT
On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>  The best place when it comes to think about the future...
>
> So we will have some potential issues with the LDAP API : as we now have a
> schema Aware, we have to load the schema into a SchemaManager. Right now,
> all the schema is stored into a subproject (shared/ldap-schema) as LDIF
> files. When we try to initialize the schemaManager, we first extract the
> LDIF to the disk.
>
> This is *very* bad ! When one will try to embed the API (in tomcat for
> instance), one will face serious issues as the file system might not be
> writable.
hmm, no, at least we can have access to the container's or system's
temporary area

> We must fix that so that we can just read the LDIF directly from the
> resources without having to extract the LDIF files to disk. That also means
> we must not try to update the LDIF on disk when modifying the schema.
currently the client cannot update the schema but IMO we should add
such a feature
sooner or later. For this to work efficiently it is good to have the
schema stored on disk
(just like the way Studio does it)

> On solution would be to use the AvlPartition to back the LdifPartition.
yeah but currently LdifPartition can only work if the files are stored on disk

> I'm not 100% sure that we don't currently have a workaround for this
> problem, but if so, it must be clearly documented. Otherwise, we have to
> provided a way to fix it.
we do have a workaround/fix for this (by setting a special VM option
specifying the location of the
schema directory or the jar file in which schema files are present)

Kiran Ayyagari