directory-api mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: About operation result
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:21:13 GMT
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <kayyagari@apache.org> wrote:
> hello guys,
>
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip/>
>
> After a discussion on IRC we have decided to inject LdapResult object
> into the LdapException.
> Another significant choice was not to throw exceptions for the result codes
> 3(timeLimitExceeded) and 4(sizeLimitExceeded) related to the search operation.

I think we should decide per operation if an exception should be throw
for a particular result code. I already suggested a list in [1].

For the search operation I think no exception should be thrown for 3
(timeLimitExeeded) and 4 (sizeLimitExeedec) because that are
client-side limits which the user of the client API set explicitely.
But for result code 11 (adminLimitExceeded) it makes sense to throw an
exception.

> The lookup operation now returns a Entry instead of the generic
> SearchResponse and throws
> ReferralException incase if the response received from the server is a referral.

Yes, I think that makes sense.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/directory-api/201006.mbox/%3C4C05EF3B.50005@apache.org%3E