directory-api mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <ayyagariki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About exceptions
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2010 09:56:58 GMT

>> All in all, JNDI's exception system is pretty decent, and I think we
>> should mimic it, but without implementing or extending the JNDI classes
>> (something ADS is doing, and it collides with the renaming of DN, as
>> it's not anymore a NAME extension).
>> thoughts ?
>
> I agree that a exception hierarchy with a base LdapExcepton class makes
> sense.
+1 too

> One important thing is to add the result code to the exception. In JNDI
> you have to extract it from the exception message.
> Another thing I don't like with JNDI is the handling of referrals and
> search continuations. I think for referrals it makes sense to throw an
> exception. But for search continuations we shouldn't throw an exception
> but a SearchResultReference object should be returned.
>
> I also wonder if we need to generate an exception for all the result
> messages. For example for an timeLimitExceeded or sizeLimitExceeded or
> adminLimitExceeded result I think it is not necessary, the user can just
> check the result code if s/he wants to handle that case.

from the recent experience of migrating test cases to client-api
have observed that unlike jndi we return result codes and I liked this
(the jndi exceptions rather give me a feeling like 'use exceptions for
control flow', which is considered as a bad practice by many)

so +1 for returning result codes instead of exceptions

Kiran Ayyagari