directory-api mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject About exceptions
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:05:08 GMT
Hi,

it's about time to talk about exceptions, as many methods will throw an
exception, and it would be good to know what to throw !

We should first have a base exception, and I suggest using
LdapException. Evey other exception will inherit this one.

The second point is that the LDAP protocol define a list of errors, and
we should map an exception to those errors. This has been done for JNDI,
and it's a pretty good idea to keep our exception hierarchy close to the
JNDI one.

AFAICT, neither OpenDS nor Unboundid define an exception hierarchy.
Something I don't find useful is a method throwing a
NullPointerException (IMO, this is totally useless, and certainly not an
exception you want to add in the list of thrown exceptions for a method
...).

jLDAP defines a few exceptions, with a base LDAPException class.
LDAPReferralException, LDAPLocalException are subclasses and used for
some specific needs.

All in all, JNDI's exception system is pretty decent, and I think we
should mimic it, but without implementing or extending the JNDI classes
(something ADS is doing, and it collides with the renaming of DN, as
it's not anymore a NAME extension).
thoughts ?

--
Regards,