directory-api mailing list archives

From Matthew Swift <Matthew.Sw...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: making client schema aware
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 15:50:05 GMT

On 03/02/10 13:30, Emmanuel LŽcharny wrote:
> [...]
>> - The schema can be loaded/extended from LDIF file
> Do you have the format you are using ?

The format of our schema files is pretty straightforward: just plain old
LDIF. For example:

dn: cn=schema
objectClass: top
objectClass: ldapSubentry
objectClass: subschema
attributeTypes: ( 2.5.4.41 NAME 'name' EQUALITY caseIgnoreMatch
   SUBSTR caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch SYNTAX
1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15{32768}
   X-ORIGIN 'RFC 4519' )
attributeTypes: ( 2.5.4.49 NAME 'distinguishedName'
   EQUALITY distinguishedNameMatch SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.12
   X-ORIGIN 'RFC 4519' )

So it is possible to import OpenDS schema using an LDIF reader. Via this
mechanism we support loading of all schema elements with the exception
of those that require implementation code. Specifically, matching rules
are not loaded this way nor are most* syntaxes - instead these are
defined in the server configuration together with a reference to the
Java class implementing rule/syntax functionality. We then expose the
schema to clients via a single cn=schema entry which includes all the
loaded schema elements as well as virtual attributes for the syntaxes
and matching rules.

Matt
* it is possible to define new syntaxes via the schema using the schema
extensions (meta-syntaxes) that Ludo presented at LDAPcon
https://www.opends.org/wiki/page/SubstitutionSyntax
https://www.opends.org/wiki/page/EnumerationSyntax
https://www.opends.org/wiki/page/RegexSyntax
http://blogs.sun.com/Ludo/entry/regular_expression_based_attributes_in