directory-api mailing list archives

From Emmanuel LŽcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: making client schema aware
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 12:03:03 GMT
Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> hi guys,
>
>    To make the client aware of schema we need to load it in one of the
> two ways
>    mentioned below
>
>     1. load the schema from the server if the server exposes it
>     2. have a common set of schema elements bundled with client
>
>    Do you see any other ways to make the client schema aware?
>    What schemas should be loaded by default?
some thoughts :
- we have discussed this extensively in Portland last year with Ludovic,
and we aggreed that the API must be schema aware
- we must provide a common set of schema (probably core, cosine, system
and inetorgperson is the absolute minimum subset)
- it should be possible for the user to request that the schema is
loaded from the server
- it should be possible to create a connection with a reference to the
loaded schema
- I don't think it's a good idea to request the server for the schema
when creating a connection. Either teh schema already exists, or no. If
not we use the default schema.
- the user should be allowed to extend the schema with his own schema
elements
- I suggest that the format for such schema extensio to be the OpenLDAP
schema format, as it's concise enough