directory-api mailing list archives

From Matthew Swift <Matthew.Sw...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: About the Control interface
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:28:49 GMT

On 25/01/10 13:22, Matthew Swift wrote:
> [...]
>
> For cases where client apps want to use a control for which there is
> no existing sub-class implementation we provided them the option of
> using the "GenericControl" class instead of being forced to implement
> a sub-class. The GenericControl class is pretty straightforward - it
> implements Control and provides three constructors:
>
>    GenericControl(String oid) // non-critical, null value
>    GenericControl(String oid, boolean isCritical) // null value
>    GenericControl(String oid, boolean isCritical, ByteString bytes)
>
> I find the GenericControl name a bit non-obvious.

Cool - we're on the same page here. I see that you have described a
ControlImpl sub class for exactly this purpose in your WIKI page...

I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the ControlImpl name to be honest, since
XXXImpl naming is usually associated with internal implementation
classes which are not usually exposed to client apps (e.g.
PlainSocketImpl in J2SE).

Matt