directory-api mailing list archives

From Emmanuel LŽcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DN] Existing API review
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:28:39 GMT
Matthew Swift a écrit :

> On 14/01/10 00:43, Emmanuel LŽcharny wrote:
>> [...]
>> Well, I don't really think that it's anything but implementation
>> dependent, so from the API POV, it's irrelevant. As soon as we add
>> the valueof() methods, those who want to add a cache can do it.
>>

> It's very relevant from an API POV.
Sorry, you don't caught what I wanted to express, or I wasn't able to
express what I had in mind.

I meant that discussing this point is irrelevant, just because having
both the constructor *and* the valueof makes sense to me now.

> Being future proof is an essential part of any API. Client
> applications will need to be modified if a valueOf constructor is
> added at a later date in order to take advantage of any potential perf
> improvements. By including the valueOf initially applications can
> choose to use the constructor knowing that they will inherit any
> future improvements such as caching.
On the same page.

> If for learnability reasons we decide that a DN(String) constructor is
> required then so be it, but it should include Javadoc recommending
> that users use the valueOf constructor in preference.
Well, here, I disagree. Users are smat enough to understand the
difference between both methods to create objects, and i don't thik we
have to stress it out, otherwise people will keep asking 'why are you
keeping those two guys in the API ?'

>>> Also, I strongly believe that DNs and RDNs and AVAs should be
>>> immutable objects (as well as any other low level API type). What do
>>> you think?
>> DN and RDN should be immutable, sure. AVA, I have some doubt.
>
> If AVA is mutable then it is impossible for DN and RDN to be immutable
> unless they do defensive copies which will be a bit annoying.
I'm probably confusing the creation of AVA and the presence of setters.
Anyway, if AVAs is not visible, it' s a non issue.

>>> Also, on the subject of AVAs - we have the AVA type as an inner
>>> class in RDN. I'm not particularly happy with this this, but less
>>> happy with it being a standalone class since AVAs are only used in
>>> RDNs and may introduce confusion elsewhere. For example, filters
>>> also use attribute value assertions but these are not the same type
>>> of object as an AVA even if they have the same name. For example,
>>> AVAs (in RDNs) do not allow attribute options or matching rules to
>>> be specified.
>> I don't really like inner classes in this case for two reasons :
>> - It will be a big class, and the RN class while be hundreds of line
>> long. Not cool
>> - If we just use an Inner class just because we want to hide it from
>> the other classes, then I think it's probably better to have it
>> package protected (ie, no qualifier for this class).
>>

> If it's package protected then the class will not be part of the
> public API. I'm not sure that I understand?
Well, it's to protect the class from being used (then no need to make it
immutable ;)