directory-api mailing list archives

From Ludovic Poitou <Ludovic.Poi...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [DN] Existing API review
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:20:47 GMT

On Jan 13, 2010, at 1:03 PM, Francois wrote:

> Le 13/01/2010 12:24, Matthew Swift a écrit :
>> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> I'm just giveng my point of view about the following, I don't think I can be relevant
elsewhere:

>> Also, I strongly believe that DNs and RDNs and AVAs should be immutable
>> objects (as well as any other low level API type). What do you think?
>
> I will go further : DN, RDN and AVA should be immutable, but Attribute should be immutable
too, and Entry should have at least an immutable DN (and facilities to copy an entry with
a new DN or ParentDN at factory level).

> For attribute, the rationnal is that one replace attribute by a new one most of the time,

That is true for attributes that hold a single value or very few.
However, not all attributes are single valued and I would strongly discourage anyone to do
this for Groups where the members attribute can contain a huge number of values (yes we have
customers with over 100 000 members in a group).

> and it's much easier to deal with immutable attribute - that's one of the aspect of UnboundId
SDK that I prefer.

> For Entry's DN, it's linked to the fact that DN are almost IDs for entries. So, the semantic
of such an operation is much likely in two cases:
> - create a copy of an entry with another DN (change RDN but perhaps not parentDN)
> - move an entry (only the parent DN change).
> These two cases (I hope I don't forget other ones) are easily fulfilled througth factory-like
method support.

> --
> Francois ARMAND
> http://fanf42.blogspot.com

---
Ludovic Poitou                                    Sun Microsystems Inc.
OpenDS Community Manager            Directory Services
http://blogs.sun.com/Ludo/         Grenoble Engineering Center - France

Join OpenDS, https://opends.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectMembershipRequest

Sun Microsystems requires the following notice:
NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended