directory-api mailing list archives

From Ludovic Poitou <Ludovic.Poi...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Let's start for real ?
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2009 08:56:27 GMT
Sorry for the delayed answer.
Matt wasn't subscribed to the list (I think it's done now), and I'm out of the office for
a conference.
We will be back in the office on Monday and will give some answer (unless Matt beats me with
it).
Overall I do think we should try to match the names (and case) used in the RFC.

Ludo

On Nov 24, 2009, at 4:53 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> what about starting for real to work on this common API ? We have had
> many preliminary discussions, and also have done a common presentation
> with Ludovic 2 months ago. I was pretty busy since then, but right now,
> the urgency to get a clean API is getting higher.
>
> We have already clarified what a common API should be about. I suggest
> we start by defining the names we want to use for the base objects.
>
> There are a few which are really genuine to ldap, namely, DN, RDN, AVA,
> Entry, Attribute, Modification, Control, LdapURL, AttributeType,
> DitContentRule, DitStructureRule, MatchingRule, MatchingRuleUse,
> NameForm, ObjectClass, Syntax, ResultCode, OID and CSN.
>
> i'm not sure I have listed all the base objects, so feel free to add
> those you think are missing.
>
> Also those names are not the final ones. The idea is to discuss about
> the exact names we will use. For instance, DN is not necessarily the
> most common form. Many APIs or implementations are using LdapDn or
> LdapDN. Assuming that the Java naming convention requires that the first
> letter only to be upcased, one can think that Dn or Rdn is a better name.
>
> Please feel free to give your opinion.
>
> <Emmanuel's option>
> DN : I would rather use Dn
> RDN : Same her, Rdn sounds better to me
> AVA : idem, Ava
> Entry : fine
> Attribute : fine, except that it collides with JNDI attributes, making
> the JNDI -> new API translation cumbersome. EntryAttribute ?
> Modification : Fine
> Control : Fine
> LdapURL : LdapUrl has my preference
> AttributeType : Fine
> DitContentRule : Fine
> DitStructureRule : Fine
> MatchingRule : Fine
> MatchingRuleUse : Fine
> NameForm : Fine
> ObjectClass : Fine
> Syntax : Fine, or LdapSyntax
> ResultCode : Fine
> OID: Oid for me
> CSN: Csn again, same reason
>
> --
> --
> cordialement, regards,
> Emmanuel L├ęcharny
> www.iktek.com
> directory.apache.org

---
Ludovic Poitou                                    Sun Microsystems Inc.
OpenDS Community Manager            Directory Services
http://blogs.sun.com/Ludo/         Grenoble Engineering Center - France

Join OpenDS, https://opends.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectMembershipRequest

Sun Microsystems requires the following notice:
NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended