directory-api mailing list archives

From Matthew Swift <Matthew.Sw...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Let's start for real ?
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:23:18 GMT
Hi Emmanuel

> Also those names are not the final ones. The idea is to discuss about
> the exact names we will use. For instance, DN is not necessarily the
> most common form. Many APIs or implementations are using LdapDn or
> LdapDN. Assuming that the Java naming convention requires that the first
> letter only to be upcased, one can think that Dn or Rdn is a better name.

I think that this convention applies to words in Java names, and not
necessarily abbreviations such as DN. In fact a cursory look through the
JDK6/J2EE6 APIs will reveal that there is definitely no convention! Take
a look at javax.xml.* where they seem to mix XML/Xml and HTTP/Http and
various other well known abbreviations with gay abandon :-)

My personal preference and our convention here has been to use uppercase
for abbreviations, but I don't feel so strongly to let such a detail get
in the way of progress.

I think that the most important things to focus on are to make the SDK
easy to learn and easy to use and that means keeping it small, clean,
and consistent.

Matt