directory-api mailing list archives

From Matthew Swift <Matthew.Sw...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Let's start for real ?
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2009 09:54:32 GMT

On 27/11/09 09:56, Ludovic Poitou wrote:
> Sorry for the delayed answer.
> Matt wasn't subscribed to the list (I think it's done now), and I'm out of the office
for a conference.
> We will be back in the office on Monday and will give some answer (unless Matt beats
me with it).
> Overall I do think we should try to match the names (and case) used in the RFC.
> Ludo

Yes - I'm on the list now - I joined yesterday afternoon. :-)

I agree with Ludo's comment above regarding naming. Something we've been
trying to do is to follow the RFC naming as much as possible as well as
following Java naming conventions. Sometimes there is a choice of name
to use (e.g. LDAPDN from RFC4511 which looks ugly all uppercase, or DN
from RFC4512 which looks silly in mixed case but good in uppercase).
We've chosen DN in this case for simply for reasons of familiarity: most
people refer to distinguish names as DNs - not LDAP DNs.

I've also been cutting and pasting bits of the RFC text into the Javadoc
where possible and linking to it, so that people feel "closer" to the
standard. I think, if possible, we should take a similar approach in
this joint LDAP SDK effort, assuming that we are allowed to quote bits
of RFC since they are Copyrighted? Obviously the Javadoc would look
pretty ugly if we had to put "Copyright (C) The Internet Society"

View raw message