directmemory-dev mailing list archives

From "Raffaele P. Guidi" <raffaele.p.gu...@gmail.com>
Subject DirectMemory september board report
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2013 23:04:43 GMT
This is this month's report for DirectMemory would please someone file it
to the board?

Thanks,
     Raffaele

Apache DirectMemory - Sep 2013
Apache DirectMemory is an off-heap cache implementation for the JVM

* General Information
DirectMemory is being evaluated by project jackrabbit for integration of
off-heap
memory into OAK.
Another, more performant back-end implementation is being contributed by
noctarius

* Issues
Development is not moving really fast and adoption is still quite limited
to other
apache projects - although more than some interesting integrations have been
contributed. It has to be said that DirectMemory is a niche product - its
target
is people and organizations that need to enable their application to handle
large
(gigabytes) quantities of objects into memory and it competes in the same
space
of terracotta, jboss, memcached and other big players with strong corporate
backing and sponsorship. We feel that we accomplished at least, being the
first
open source offheap cache implementation, the goal to bring big memory to
the
masses, forcing, in a way, companies to offer free tiers of commercial
products
(as bigmemory go). We feel that we are moving, although slowly, and we are
making things move.
Any help would be appreciated, though, in suggestions, spreading the word,
testing and facilitating the adoption of the platform

* Releases
  No releases since july 2012. Release 0.2 is planned for the end of the
month -
this will be the first one since we left incubation