directmemory-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Engelbert <noctar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jillegal, Java OffHeap Memory Solution
Date Sun, 28 Jul 2013 18:30:54 GMT
Hi Serkan

I move the conversation back to the mailinglist :-)

See comments inline.

Am 28.07.2013 20:19, schrieb serkan özal:
> Hi Chris,
>
> In my offheap pool solution, objects are allocated outside heap
> and there is no serialization/deserialization need.

So you reallocate all member accesses? That's sounds very
interesting! I haven't had time for taking a look at the code but
I definately will!

> Because original object is created on offheap and it is not
> tracked by GC. Objects are allocated with Unsafe by using some
> direct memory access and low level Java tricks. If you are
> interested in, maybe this solution can be a subproject of
> "Apache DirectMemory".

DirectMemory is designed as a cache but not for allocating
complete objects but maybe it could be a nice optional feature. My
problem is: I found out that direct memory access for very short
pieces of data are to costly so I ended up buffering 1K of bytes
before firing them to the native memory location - how do you deal
with this?

> In addition, I am thinking of writing byte code generation
> based object mapper and serializer/deserializer. Because of it
> is not reflection based there will be no performance overhead
> and it will be as fast as implemented as manual. I implemented
> similar thing for Spring Row Mapper
> (https://github.com/serkan-ozal/spring-jdbc-roma)

This sounds pretty similar to what DM - Lightning does. At the
moment the development of it is a bit fallen asleep but if you're
interested count me :-)

Cheers Chris