directmemory-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Engelbert <noctar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: WAL Implementation
Date Sun, 24 Mar 2013 19:11:23 GMT
Hey Jan

Thanks for your answer.

I just had a short look over the code and you're using a separate
index file, don't you? Is there any advantage?
My current implementation is an append only, fixed sized journal.
This means I write as much entries to the file as fit in the given
journal filesize and roll over to a new journal. If all entries in
an full journal file are executed the file is deleted or moved to an
archive path.

Every new journal file is set to the max filesize at creationtime
and is explicitly zero-filled.
If an entry won't fit in a standard journalfile a special
"full-overflow" journal file (only containing that single entry) is
created.

The fileformat looks like this:
0x00 - 0x03    MagicHeader
0x04 - 0x07    Format-Version (currently 1 ;-))
0x08 - 0x0B    Filelength (to check if the filelength is corrupted
by filesystem failure)
0x0C - 0x13    Logfile number (the number of the logfile for
ordering multiple files while replaying)
0x14 - 0x14    Type of the Logfile (standard / full overflow)
0x15 - 0x18    Offset of the first dataset (normally 0x19 but can be
used to inject additional properties in the header)
0x19 - ...         Journal records

JournalRecord (every position is calculated by record-base-offset +
pos):
0x00 - 0x03    Records length (if first 4 bytes and last 4 bytes are
equal the record isn't corrupted)
0x04 - 0x0B    Record ID, incrementing number
0x0C - 0x0C    Record type (application depending, defines type of data)
0x0D - 0x...     Records data
0x... - 0x...+4  Records length (needs to equals first four bytes of
the record)

What is your exact design and what do you think is the better approach?

PS: Your journal implementation is MapDB specific (at least a bit
because of the Serializer - but could be used yeah :))

Chris