devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: YAUAA: Yet Another User-Agent Analyzer
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2016 18:50:17 GMT
It's hardly worth it for DeviceMap VM, but it seems YAUAA also has some
nice log analysis tool to use on NGINX or Apache web server logs to analyze
how many users visited a particular URL or extract UA data from it:
https://github.com/nielsbasjes/yauaa/tree/master/examples/logparser

Sounds a bit similar to what Wikipedia once did.

If applied in the right way it could have automated gathering device data
in ways we were often told to do (e.g. at ApacheCon or other presentations
I gave)

Well too late for DeviceMap, but certainly good to know and try in a
different place...

Werner

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Werner Keil <werner.keil@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Volkan,
>
> Thanks a lot for sharing this. Good to see there is some more open source
> activity in this area.
> The commit history of YAUAA makes a slightly more solid impression than
> the fork of the JSON based ideas Reza called 2.0 (they practically died a
> year ago)
>
> I was in touch with some of your colleagues, there was nothing "secret"
> about it as Bertrand suggested. He just could not reach me over the mailing
> list because I don't get notifications, so he used another address or
> channel ;-)
>
> The way it analzes the User Agent seems a bit closer to the W3C DDR client
> of DeviceMap and e.g. UserAgent or UserAgentFactory (
> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/devicemap/trunk/
> clients/w3c-ddr/simpleddr/src/main/java/org/apache/
> devicemap/simpleddr/model/UserAgentFactory.java?view=markup) but in a
> more "fluent" way like the kind of APIs and frameworks that arise a lot
> nowadays.
>
> I would certainly love to see a link to it on the attic page if that's
> possible. Please ask Radu, Bertrand or Infra how to do that, similar to
> XMLBeans: http://attic.apache.org/projects/xmlbeans.html (Alternatives
> are discussed... I think that matches such project)
> Every committer could still mention it on the DeviceMap site now, but I
> try to focus on aspects and examples of the actual DeviceMap clients now,
> so not sure, if I got the time for a "other solutions" page on the main
> website.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Werner
>
> FromVolkan Yazıcı <volkan.yaz...@gmail.com>SubjectYAUAA: Yet Another User-Agent
Analyzer Date Fri, 16 Dec 2016 07:13:58 GMT