devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [IMPORTANT] Apache DeviceMap going to Attic
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2016 09:59:21 GMT
The real problem of course was from day one, that DeviceMap had no
functional committers:-/
While we welcomed Volcan as a committer and a dozen others (including some
who served on the PMC, too) officially were or still are part of the team
nobody did commit.

Beside occasional JIRA posts or patches, there could have been one commit I
recall Volkan made after he was elected, but hardly more. Not to mention
any of the other committers/PMC members other than myself or Reza for a
while.
Having 13 or 15 committers, but never more than 1 or 2 of them actually
committing won't work in any project for very long. Unless it's a "One Man
Show" (which Reza hoped, he could get, but without regular data updates
like OpenDDR had before we contributed it here, that makes no sense, nor do
2 or 3 different data formats, if even 1 cannot be maintained by a
reasonable number of people)

I spoke to Volkan's manager who explained, he was transferred to another
department and could no longer contribute to device or CMS related projects
including DeviceMap.
We see that happen quite a bit. Bertrand's Radu's company Adobe also could
not meet its Spec Lead responsibilities in the Java Content Repository 2.1
standard (JSR 333: https://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=333) so that JSR went
dormant. Despite some Apache projects like Jackrabbit or Sling seemingly
alive and not yet dormant, but they use earlier versions of that standard.

Oracle also had to hand over the Portlet Bridge standard and either
withdraw or drastically slow down Java EE JSRs due to lack of resources. We
seem so see that in many places where Open Source is seen as "Free Lunch"
but not everyone is willing to cook it or bring the ingredients ;-(

Radu filed the termination to the board. Which should be processed by it
during the next meeting.
Until that I brush up a few documentation pages only which has been
neglected earlier. It's not like nobody downloads DeviceMap. In fact it saw
a surge beyond the time of the last releases in the course of 2016 counting
only Maven access to data or the Java client. So instead of leving
"scorched earth" or even deleting things from the repository like a few
former PMC members did, I try to leave it so everyone visiting the archive
page (which will probably be around as long as apache.org exists;-) gets an
idea what DeviceMap was/is about and if they find the code useful they can
download it or even fork to make own modifications.

I'll also vote on the thread where other PMC members did.

Regards,
Werner

On 2016-12-13 01:09 (-0800), Werner Keil <werner.keil@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know, if and how long after the board meeting the SVN will be
> writabe, so prefer doing it now.

It is not good for there to be commits to a project with no one to
oversee them, particularly
if they may be consequential or controversial. Though I believe that
the technical answer
is that the timing of resources closing down depends on whatever
volunteer takes the steps
to initiate the sequence of Attic requests with Infra, you should not
plan to make changes
to the project after it has been retired.

This seems to have gone on for a long time.  Even if the VOTE is not
tidied up or the promised
doc commits landed, since DeviceMap does not have a functional PMC,
the Board may consider
retiring the project regardless a week from tomorrow. The community
has received ample notice.

Marvin Humphrey

Werner Keil | JCP Executive Committee Member, JSR 363 Co Spec Lead |
Eclipse UOMo Lead, Babel Language Champion | Apache Committer

Twitter @wernerkeil | @UnitAPI | @JSR354 | @AgoravaProj | @TamayaConf |
#DevOps | #EclipseUOMo
Skype werner.keil | Google+ gplus.to/wernerkeil