devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSE] Release DeviceMap-data and other dependencies (with connection URL etc. fixed)
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2016 15:41:03 GMT
Similar to e.g. Tamaya, Karaf has everything under a single codebase.
https://github.com/apache/karaf/tree/master/manual is what gets deployed
under http://karaf.apache.org/manual/
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/
vs.
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest-3.0.x/
shows, there's also versioning of these artifacts.

So since everything is "code" also in this case (sources like .asciidoc get
interpreted into .html or other formats) then why can't similar sources
also be made available to the DeviceMap site?
It should not matter if we use SVN or Git either.

Code in both SVN or Git repositories are useless to the URL loaders and even
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/devicemap/trunk/data/1.0/device-data/src/main/resources/devicedata/
won't work, because the SVN browser turns it into a special form like
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/devicemap/trunk/data/1.0/device-data/src/main/resources/devicedata/BrowserDataSource.xml?revision=1717108&view=markup
And the URL loader can't handle these dynamic URLs either.

Eberhard way back tried to use the sources from SVN and it failed, only
afer I pointed it to the plain URLs on the VM the .NET clients work since
then.

Instead of Karaf, let's look at http://apache.org/dist/sling/eclipse/
It contains 1.1.0/ <http://apache.org/dist/sling/eclipse/1.1.0/> and other
folders for releases of this artifact.

Not signed ZIP archives like
http://apache.org/dist/sling/apache-sling-eclipse-update-site-1.1.0.zip etc.
Users would have to download first and use as local update sites.

So if this alternate (more convenient for some) distribution of some parts
of Sling works, why should it not work for DeviceMap?

Are some projects "more equal"?;-|

Werner