devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Leaving the DeviceMap project and PMC
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2016 10:16:42 GMT
Bertrand/all,

Thanks for your support getting the project started and as you said mainly
with infrastructure or board-related duties since.

Sorry to see you leave, but if out of 13 (14 or 15 max at times) committers
only 1, 3 or no more than 3 ever really committed something, neither you
nor others are to blame.

A data-driven project like DeviceMap where the most important artifact is
information, not executable code was probably never seen at Apache before.
All the "Big Data" projects do not contribute data, they only help storing,
processing or analyzing it.

Especially that information was never maintained and released at the same
pace as OpenDDR set standards between 2011 and 2014. With pretty much
monthly releases, at the very least once a quarter. DeviceMap Data released
approx. every 6 months and now it's been a year since 1.0.3.

Following what some vendors do, a dual-format approach with XML or JSON was
a fascinating idea, but neither Reza nor myself or others could have
maintained that all by ourselves. And his "TextGlass" project forked out of
the JSON idea shows no activity: https://github.com/TextGlass/device No
forks, no issues, no pull requests, and the only one watching it is Reza.

I was more active with DeviceMap data and clients, e.g. getting the VB.NET
or C# clients released (something its original author never managed for a
long time) DeviceMap Data contains further devices now, but the idea is not
that a single person does this, especially if like Bertrand or others
everybody has day jobs or sometimes multiple other projects to take care of.

I mentioned the idea of archiving/retiring DeviceMap to the Portals team
where at least device data should be of interest (possibly some of the Java
code to read it) using the new User Agent feature of Portlet 3. Whether a
project like Portlets could point to static content of an archived/retired
DeviceMap similar to what e.g. it does with Jetspeed-1 for ages now, would
be nice to clarify. To function after all a Portlet 3 demo would not even
need a DeviceMap site.

In its current form, the VM is of course required, also for the VB and C#
clients btw.

Not sure, if you resigned effective as of today, or plan to do so in the
very near future?
If a final release of Java and .NET clients taking device data also from a
remote maven repository could be done, that would make both the site and VM
irrelevant.
And allow e.g. some GitHub or Pluto/Portlet 3 demo project to tap into the
existing device data (not very recent but functioning, for a RI IMHO that
could be more than enough)

I asked the people behind OpenDDR what they think of the situation and if
they were willing and able to pick up the relevant parts of the projects.
Will have to see what they say.

Regards,

Werner

>From dev-return-2907-apmail-devicemap-dev-archive=devicemap.apache.org@devicemap.apache.org