devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSE] Release DeviceMap-data and other dependencies (with connection URL etc. fixed)
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2016 08:20:41 GMT
Bertrand,

Whenever you had a chance to look at the repositories and folders
discussed, let us know.

After deploying snapshots already with Maven I gave
https://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.
html#test-your-settings a go last night and it also works locally, so I
should be able to perform the next steps from my Windows box (AFAIK Reza
must have used the VM for that, if anything fails I may have to analyze his
profile but so far GPG etc. work automatically with my Apache key)

I plan to join the Portlets (JSR) call later today, and see, how they feel
about using DeviceMap for something like a "Reactive" (see
http://mickkenyon.com/Micks_Blog/responsive-vs-reactive-websites/
"Responsive" involves CSS/JavaScript, while "Reactive" web design takes
e.g. the device into consideration) portlet on top of Portlet/Pluto 3.

Cheers,

Werner

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Werner Keil <werner.keil@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Answers inline
>

> On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Werner Keil <werner.keil@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> ...Is the "exploded JAR" putting devicemap-data (in ways similar to
> >> http://www.apache.org/dist/karaf/documentation/cave/ which holds 3_x.html,
> >> 4_x.html, etc. for different versions) also OK...
>
> >I don't know what that means, please point to an svn tag indicating
> >exactly what you mean to release, or a tentative release archive.
> Basically it's devicemap-data, as in
> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/devicemap/trunk/data/1.0/device-data/src/main/resources/devicedata/
>
> similar to what Reza made available on the VM:
> http://devicemap-vm.apache.org/data/1.0.3/
>
> I don't expect the VM to be around after retirement (if everything is read-only, so would
be the accounts at least for "devicemap")
> thus it is unreasonable to expect above "devicemap-vm" URL to still work.
>
> Doing the same via
> http://www.apache.org/dist/deviemap/data/1.0.3 (or 1.0.4 for the planned last release)
> should remain and is usable by all clients (.NET maybe by tweaking the config file)
>

> Karaf on its download page http://karaf.apache.org/download.html
> points to the mentioned HTML docs e.g. in this mirror:
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/karaf/documentation/4_x.html
>
> Technically there is no difference between Karaf's HTML "documentation",
> the seemingly P2 repository for Apache Sling and DeviceMap Data XML files being made
available in a "W3C Device Definition Repository" (DDR) instead of P2.

> Maven would only work for the Java Client and leave the .NET clients and console useless.
>

>  >> ...If not being able to vote on .NET means only Radu or myself could vote,
> >> guess it won't get the minimum number of PMC votes and we may have to leave
> >> them as "Patch" in trunk then?...
>
> >The DeviceMap code remains fully available if the project moves to
> >Attic, it's just read only. If people want to use it they can, at
> >their own risk, it's just not an official Apache release.
>
> >> ...The W3C DDR API was officially released, but there is a license missing.
Is