devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Device Data Stats
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2016 14:46:22 GMT
Hi,

Infra helped fix the SSH problem we had on the VM.
With a more convenient SSH/FTP client access works a lot faster.

With the free trial of that logstash tool I hope to get some descriptive
figures rather soon, but it's quite obvious aside from a few also visiting
BrowserMap a strong majority of those who browse the VM retrieve DeviceMap
data, see this example:
[04/Mar/2016:13:25:19 +0000] "GET /data/latest/DeviceDataSource.xml
HTTP/1.1" 200 141213 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64)
AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/48.0.2564.116 Safari/537.36"

And guess what, even without a sophisticated update mechanism this and
other log files (also of Tomcat if it's properly configured) give us all
the UA strings of visitors for free to use ;-)

The data download section mostly does for desktop OS, not too many people
develop on a mobile device right now, but that also should help improving
device recognition of desktop or bot visitors. And at the very least
provide some test data.

Sonatype Nexus on Apache.org has not updated for February, hope that comes
up in the course of this month. Then eventually we get the full picture,
but it looks like downloads from the VM will exceed those from MavenCentral
and its mirrors or at least equal them out.

Regards,
Werner