devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache DeviceMap C# client version 1.0.1
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2015 17:38:14 GMT
Option 2 looks easier, not only because both archives would be smaller in
size.
If you strongly oppose, please let me know as soon as you can (also by CC).

Otherwise I would update the files and tryanother (hopefully last;-)
attempt in the course of this week.

Werner

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 6:42 PM, Werner Keil <werner.keil@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe harder for the Java-centric ones (I worked enough with .NET to understand and use
both) to grasp, but I was under the impression devicemap-csharp-1.0.1-src.zip should allow
a developer to instantly build the binary without extra hassle or involvement, right?

> Unlike Maven there is no proper build system for .NET that would dynamically pull a 3rd
party DLL into the build process without having it in the local file system first.

> So please advice, what's best in your opinion:
>
> 1. Remove the DLL from the sources (not just the ZIP, if that reflects the codebase it
also has to go from SVN) and modify the README so people know they have to fetch it from http://logging.apache.org/log4net/
and put it into a defined place before the project would build

> 2. Completely abandon logging here. Eberhard tried to use a Windows EventLog, but unless
you run DeviceMap Console with Local Admin rights, that did not work and only result in secondary
exceptions. Logging is only done for a few error situations anyway, so I could also remove
the Log4Net dependendy and try to present error messages best they can in the console.

> WDYT?
>

> Please directly reply as CC or BCC with what you think is best, then I can modify the
C# project.