devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Werner's Roma slides (was: 2.0 reference client)
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2015 15:47:23 GMT
As mentioned the information is scattered across at least 3-4 other pages,
especially a mandatory comparision that shows almost every available
alternative to DeviceMap.,

Those benchmarks are also old as you can see from the pictures. They are
still representative for the W3C DDR Simple API implementation and being
based on the last ever "open" WURFL snapshot, it may be hard to find that
(except what you rescued on GitHub) so the publicly visible WURFL version
is also as it was in 2011 and unless they provide transparent benchmarks,
there is nothing to compare out in the open any more.

At least Eberhard spoke about some "fantastic performance results" being up
to 100x faster than WURFL but so fsar I never saw any figures, so that's no
proper replacement and simply saying it on a slide would not be better than
existing statements about WURFL. As it should be obvious, the "wall"
metaphor simply came with the whole "DDR" CI also found on other pages.

More than happy to include other pages either based on sustainable
benchmarks we can reproduce or ideas and reference clients towards the
JSON/2.0 direction.
I expect ACE 2015 will update its template, at least for the date on the
front page compared to
http://de.slideshare.net/keilw/apache-devicemap-apachecon-europe-2014
There were "filler" pages in that template I'd certainly use again if it is
provided in a similar way. The "History" section seems quite suitable to
some pages like "What was contributed" and especially compared to the Nov
'14 ones in Budapest, what was "Outlook" there e.g. graduating is now
already "History", too ;-)