devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 2.0 reference client
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2015 11:49:53 GMT
As mentioned, the "2.0 reference client" (unlike new data definitions)
should probably not be under /trunk/clients/2.0 but /whiteboard/rezan,
because
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/devicemap/trunk/clients/2.0/reference/src/DeviceMapClient.java
clearly shows, it not only relies on some proprietary build scripts and
environment specific to just a single person's computer.

Leaving the nested if spaghetti-code aside (the parent Apache POM does not
recommend plugins like FindBugs, CheckStyle, etc. but projects may still
use them if they care) all classes are in an anomymous package;-O

Apache doesn't seem to have an official package naming convention like
Eclipse (https://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Naming_Conventions) there are
only (now retired) projects like Harmony that did it on its own
https://harmony.apache.org/subcomponents/classlibrary/pkgnaming.html (also
based on Eclipse) but when it comes to Java packages, every proper Apache
project, even those still incubating should follow

I won't bother touching it (as agreed;-) but in this state, I won't bother
looking at it further or even mention it at ApacheCon or similar occasions
either.
It is no more than a "private POC" thrown into the SVN by mistake, at least
in this location.

This is in no way ready to be released or even proposed to the PMC! Nor
called "Reference Client" or "Reference Implementation".

For JavaScript, there is little code, but while there are coding
conventions (e.g. by "JSON Father" Douglas Crockford who was a fellow
speaker at Dutch Mobile Conference 3 years ago) no strong notion of package
at least for individual files exist. If anything was to be seen by the
Node.js and related communities, it has to be published on NPM (once there
was an official release)

There is no "devicemap" module as of now
https://www.npmjs.com/search?q=devicemap

but at least one that seems compatible with DeviceMap 1.0 and its precursor
OpenDDR as well as other solutions like 51degreeMobi or WURFL:
https://www.npmjs.com/package/responder

The GitHub repositories or Travis CI seem gone, but like MavenCentral, once
a module is deployed there it remains in it pretty much forever.

Regards,
Werner