devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Reza Naghibi <re...@apache.org>
Subject 2.0 reference domain
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2015 21:06:36 GMT
So I just wrote the first 2.0 reference domain and test suite. Its called
reference_a.

Apache SVN is down at the moment, so im attaching the domain and test
suite. I will commit it when SVN becomes available.

Some notes on the test suites:

https://wiki.apache.org/devicemap/DataSpec2#Test_Suites

This is the first of several reference domains and test suites. This one is
pretty simple and gives me enough to start writing the reference client.
The next step is the write the actual reference client. I will begin this
on Monday. After that, I will create a few more reference domains
(reference_b, reference_c, etc) which go more deeply into the spec, then I
will refine the client, refine the spec, repeat. When this process is all
said and done, 2.0 is ready from a specification standpoint! This is
obviously an open process, so feel free to join in and comment, etc.

The reference client will be written in Java, but will strive to be as
clear, readable and vanilla as possible. This will not be the official Java
client since performance is not a requirement here. Official clients should
be written for performance, maintainability, and correctness.

When the specification is ready (shooting for August), people can start
contributing clients. As long as they pass the reference test suites, they
will be valid. At minimum, you should be able to clone or copy the
reference client, assuming the target language is Java-like. Otherwise you
are free to write the client as you see fit, it just needs to pass the test
suites.

When the spec is done, I will begin working on the new device, browser, and
OS domains. Once again, as long as these domains pass the reference client,
they will be good to go.

So you should be able to see a theme here, which is that clients and data
are completely independent, but together form a nice ecosystem.

Let me know if you have any questions, thoughts, commments, etc. Otherwise,
sit back, relax, and wait for the reference client.