devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DeviceMap is NOT a collaborative effort by companies X, Y or Z (Was: Call for Papers: "ApacheCON: Core"...)
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2015 16:30:45 GMT
AFTER ACE, so as mentioned the basis was last year's accepted abstract.

To make it shorter (15 chars left, anything you still like to mention in
those?;-D)

We experience a growing number of mobile and similar devices flooding the
market almost every day. Capturing the specification of each device is a
tough job. If you want to create a great UX you need dynamic content
matching hardware and browser specs of your device. That’s why Device
Description Repositories (DDR) exist. Apache DeviceMap is a collaborative
effort to create a comprehensive open-source and open-data repository of
device information and other relevant data for various devices. The project
began in January 2012 after which OpenDDR contributed data and APIs for
Java and. NET. DeviceMap left Apache Incubator Nov 2014. After
modularization, DeviceMap 2.0 shall make classification generic, so people
can introduce their own detection domains. Support further languages like
JavaScript/Node.js, common web UI frameworks, etc. and a JSON
representation of device data.