devicemap-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Call for Papers: "ApacheCON: Core" in Budapest October 1-2 2015.
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2015 15:36:47 GMT
OK, there is not much time left so I submitted the proposal with an updated
abstract:

We experience a growing number of mobile and similar devices flooding the
market almost every day. Capturing the specification of each device is a
tough job. If you want to create a great UX you need dynamic content
matching hardware and browser specs of your device. That’s why Device
Description Repositories (DDR) exist. Apache DeviceMap is a collaborative
effort by Adobe, OpenDDR and others to create a comprehensive open-source
and open-data repository of device information and other relevant data for
all types of devices. The project began in January 2012 after which OpenDDR
contributed data and APis for Java and. NET. DeviceMap left Apache the
Incubator Nov 2014. After modularization, DeviceMap 2.0 shall make
classification generic, so people can introduce their own detection
domains. Support further languages like JavaScript/Node.js, etc. and a JSON
representation of device data.

If you spot anything major respond quick, otherwise fingers crossed, they
like it again this year.

I did not find space in this abstract, but the Portlet 3 EG and Spec Lead
(IBM) seriously considers to tap into DeviceMap through the Portlet API.
To get an idea, there's another W3C recommendation, P3P (
http://www.w3.org/P3P/) which the Portlet API since 2.0 supports:
https://portals.apache.org/pluto/portlet-2.0-apidocs/javax/portlet/PortletRequest.P3PUserInfos.html
In a similar way, likely having to retrieve it via the already existing
CCPP extension:
https://portals.apache.org/pluto/portlet-2.0-apidocs/javax/portlet/PortletRequest.html#CCPP_PROFILE
(if that was too cumbersome, for the official JCP JSR referencing to other
accepted standards like W3C DDR I guess that's acceptable, see P3P, but the
Spec/API must not reference directly to an implementation like DeviceMap,
DeviceAtlas, etc. that's the rule for official standards;-)

Implementations like Apache Pluto may on the other hand use other Apache
projects like DeviceMap.
Having not only Apache Portals, but the Who is Who of Enterprise Portal
vendors (IBM, Oracle, Liferay, Red Hat/Exo or Vaadin just to mention other
EG members) use DeviceMap through the Portlet RI would certainly not harm
adoption and quite likely foster contribution to the device data, too.

Werner